Sunday, January 13, 2013

Reflections on a year

A couple of weeks ago marked one year since this:


And oh, what a year it's been. While we have had some amazing times, we've also been hit with a LOT of HARD things that I don't think either of us expected. We've had to move 3 times so far in our marriage. We've had neighbors who smoked and apartments that let in way too much sunlight during a 115 degree summer day. We've faced the struggle of trying to find jobs and trying to find a decent apartment. We've faced moving away from family. We've had the transmission on our car go out (which costs $$$$$$ to replace). We've had a scholarship fall through because of a miscommunication. We've had crazy school fees appear. And many more struggles which are too personal to mention. Sometimes we can't help but feel that it's too much, and that this isn't what we signed up for with marriage.

But in those moments, it hits me- No, this is exactly what you signed up for with marriage. A carefree life full of happiness and fun is what dating is for. Marriage is where you get to choose your best friend and your partner to navigate life with. You choose that person that can help you get through it all. I know Shawn infinitely more than I did a year ago. I know what makes him tick, what his dreams are, and what insecurities he has. And he knows the same about me. And that's what's so incredible about marriage. When we were first married, I thought I knew everything about Shawn. After all, we talked on the phone for hours every night. You find out a lot about a person that way. But I realized now that I didn't truly know Shawn like I do now.

People always say that the first year of marriage is the hardest. At first I didn't believe them, but now I do. But it's important for it to be hard. Those trials cement you together in a way that no other thing can. They force you to be a team and learn to compromise. They force you to have faith. They force you to love harder than ever before. And while this year has been tough, I wouldn't have it any other way. The love and admiration I have for Shawn is stronger now than it was on the day we got married. And I can't wait for it to grow even stronger as we continue on our eternity together. 


I love ya forever babe.

No comments:

Post a Comment